Monday, February 2, 2009

Speakeasy

I was surprised that Old Town Alexandria had a popular speakeasy before the 14th Street corridor. Thanks to Eric Hilton (Thievery Corporation, Marvin, Eighteenth Street Lounge) the Gibson has come to 2009 14th Street to plug the hole. Read the Washington Post's full review here for more information. It sounds like an interesting place; the cocktails are top shelf and imaginative, and the bar is the chilled-out sophisticated scene you would expect from Eric Hilton. Then there's the factor that appeals most to me: there is no standing room in the bar. In true speakeasy style, the Gibson only admits patrons when bar and table seating is available.

After only a few months in business the Gibson received many reviews on Yelp, most of them reactions to the psuedo-speakeasy environment. It seems that people either love it or think it's played-out. You may also want to check out the DCist review (which you probably missed on Christmas Eve) and the cocktail menu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Put me down as one who found it trite, contrived, and played out. My wife took me to the one in Alexandria on my birthday a few years ago; I felt uncomfortable and wanted to get out of their immediately.