Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Meters!

Rates and effective dates have yet to be declared, but I am so excited for the impending installation of meters in DC taxis. Though I have myself not been gouged by a DC cabbie nor am I particularly confused by the zone system, Fenty's decision appeals to my basic sense of fairness.

Most importantly, I'm hoping for less expensive fares. Mr. 14th & You and I might be able to travel the 0.9 miles from our home to the Dupont Metro for less than the $9 plus tip that we now pay during rush hour. That same trip in NYC would only cost $4.30 ($2.50 initial fare + $0.40 per each 0.2 miles + $0 for additional passengers). I'll also be pleased when the 5.7 mile trip to National Airport does not cost me $6.10 more than the 4.7 mile trip to my parents' home on Capitol Hill.

Drivers might even make out ok in this transition. As demand is a function of price, I think that many folks traveling within one or two zones will take cabs more often if the fare is lower. Now if only we could get taxis with working seat belts and credit card readers . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I was religious, I'd be singing a big AMEN right now.

Tim said...

me too. i was so happy that fenty make the obvious choice.

Mr. Other Upper NW said...

$4 base fare?

What a let-down this is.