Tuesday, September 11, 2007

100% Mexico - What will it be?

Many of you familiar with the 14th St. corridor no doubt know about the vacant storefront on the 1600 block that was formerly the "100% Mexico" store. The store vacated the premises over the winter/early spring, and soon thereafter a notice of a liquor license application was posted inside the door.

That was in March. Since then, nada. So, does anyone have any info on this? Any idea on what the space might become? If I recall correctly, the petitioner was an LLC of some kind, but beyond that I don't have any other info. My apologies for not providing a snapshot or something, I neglected to bring my camera with me this morning.

Inquiring minds want to know...

8 comments:

Beets and Bonbons said...

I heard rumors of a tapas restaurant... but that was ages ago.

Mr. Other Upper NW said...

I remembered seeing the same thing, but again, that was a long time ago. Seems to be a prime spot (located on the same block as HR-57 and Rice), so I wonder if the application or permitting process is being held up?

Mr. Other Upper NW said...

OK, I walked by there last night to examine the application notice, and it says the application is for a "Restaurant serving Spanich-style cuisine, with sidewalk dining." The hours look to be pretty late--till 2 AM on Fridays and Saturdays. The given restaurant name is "La Pata Negra". According to the sign, though, the permit hearing was to be conducted back in March, and by the looks of things in the space, there isn't any work or progress being made.

I think this would be a great addition to the neighborhood, but who knows when/if it might arrive here.

Anonymous said...

what we need is liquor store / mini mart. 45s, lottery tickets, you know...

Mr. Other Upper NW said...

Kazanchi's is right next door. 7/11 at Rhode Island and 14th sells lottery tickets...and there are liquor stores at 14th and Rhode Island as well as on P St.

Personally, I'd like to see a casual sandwich-type place open up. There's really no place to get a decent sandwich in Logan. Ethiopian? Check. Asian fusion? Check. Chinese? Check. Sandwich shop? Nada.

Beets and Bonbons said...

I think a bagel store would do well, too. But then again, there is a general lack of bagel stores in all of D.C.

Amanda said...

The owners of Sonoma and Mendocino still have the space - they've just had a hard time getting the upstairs occupants to move out. They had planned a Spanish joint (read here: http://amandamc.blogspot.com/2006/12/spanish-gastropub-headed-to-14th.html), but I think they're tweaking the concept and are almost ready to announce the next step.

Sonoma and Mendocino are great neighborhood spots so I'm glad the space is in good hands. I just wish they'd hurry up!

Mr. Other Upper NW said...

Thanks for the update Amanda! We hope it gets here soon, too.