Friday, June 4, 2010

Changes in Store at Modern Liquors; New Microbrewery Coming?

This afternoon, we received the following message from Jeff Harrison, (former) owner of Modern Liquors at 9th and M streets:

FYI, after today I will no longer have any involvement with Modern Liquors. The new owner fired my staff last night, and as a result, I've decided that I need a clean break. The Modern Liquors you know today is the result of my hard work, and it was my desire to reap the rewards, but obviously that's not going to happen. It's highly unlikely that I'll open another shop, however, I have been approached by the infamous District Liquors (11th St.) to revamp their store just as I did with Modern. I'll let you know if/when things become official.



For anyone who attended Modern Liquors' frequent wine and spirits tastings, you know that Jeff's friendliness and personality were a significant reason to patronize the establishment. He took what was basically a run-of-the-mill liquor store and, through frequent tastings and events (including some lovely cheese and chocolate pairings) transformed it into an enjoyable and unique establishment. We can only hope that the new owner continues operating the business in a similar vein.

Along similar lines, Jeff also makes mention that he and a group of friends are embarking on opening a microbrewery they intend to call "Logan Shaw". They are aiming to open the microbrewery, which will begin with three varieties, by "early 2011" at an as-yet-undetermined location.

If plans for the microbrewery get off the ground, I have to think that will be a winning enterprise. Lord knows the wine bar idea is quickly getting tapped out, and ChurchKey has firmly entrenched itself as the area go-to for a wide and obscure beer selection. The next logical choice, as far as alcoholic-themed establishments go, would be a mircobrewery--something DC has lacked ever since the Heurich Brewing Company packed up and left town.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought microbreweries were banned in DC, except for the downtown core. Or is that just micro-brewery restaurants?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I think you forgot about Capitol City? Last time I checked, they were still brewing beer.

IMGoph said...

fixing that liquor store on 11th would go a LONG LONG way towards making that stretch of the neighborhood a better place.

he's a hero if he can pull that off!

Anonymous said...

Sure the owner was nice but I feel like people are making a big deal out of something that shouldn't be. I mean its a liquor store..his prices were high and I never really get a friendly vibe going in there.

Anonymous said...

Jeff was awesome and I will miss him dearly. We lost a dedicated neighbor and businessowner here. Not to say the new owners will not be the same but I somehow doubt it.

Best of luck in the future Jeff and I hope to drink your beer and visit your new establishment soon!
-Nick

Anonymous said...

It'll be tough to see Jeff and the staff go (kudos for the show of solidarity when the staff was let go) and the new owner will have to do some work to win me over. Modern was my go to place for a decent microbrew sixpack on the walk home from work, but I'll bail for Whole Foods if need be.

Jason said...

Cap City used to brew in DC now all brewing is done at the Shirlington location (btw they will be closing their Capital Hill location soon). However, District Chophouse and Gordon Biersch both brew downtown and are considered micros.

Renee said...

Modern Liquors was a great place for tastings. Albeit an unassuming place from the outside, my husband and I loved going there on Fridays.

Anonymous said...

Aww... We love Jeff. I am so sad to hear this news!

Anonymous said...

Evil monster-in-law finally did it.
I miss you Jeff. I will be at District Liquors soon.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Logan-Shaw will be joining the ranks. There are a few other micro-breweries already in progress that are slated to open in DC and the DC Metro area in 2011. DC Brau: http://www.dcbrau.com/ and Port City: http://www.portcitybrewing.com/